Updated Mar 1, 2014 - 12:56 pm
This means they have a real chance to re-sign Los Dirty, Karlos Dansby, fill holes by recruiting more one-year contracts AND get free agent LT, Branden Albert… Depending on what the Miami Dolphins do. The Dolphins are $39 million under the cap. If they want Branden Albert, and money is the only factor, I doubt the Cards could outbid Miami.
But if money is not the only determinant for Albert, don't rule out Big Red. Steve Keim has proven himself to be an excellent recruiter and very persuasive: Jon Abraham, Karlos Dansby, Eric Winston, Matt Shaugnessy and Rashard Mendenhall were major contributors to the Cardinals' 10-6 record in 2013. They all settled on Arizona as their free agent destination when they had other opportunities.
Recruiting professional football players is now one of the new talents a GM must possess. The Art of the One Year Deal has become "en vogue" in the National Football League. Persuading free agents to sign one-year deals with your team may be the difference between a winning team and everybody else. And when money is comparable and is not the end-all-be-all for coveted free agents, the ability of GMs to persuade players becomes a critical free agent factor.
In regard to Branden Albert playing LT for Arizona this season, let's hope it comes down to more than just money.
Ron Wolfley, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- John McClain, NFL insider - Thursday April 17Who will the Texans draft?
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.
- Roger Kingdom, Arizona Cardinals' Speed Coach - Monday April 7Roger Kingdom talks about translating muscle gained to the field without slowing the players down.