Updated Mar 1, 2014 - 12:56 pm
This means they have a real chance to re-sign Los Dirty, Karlos Dansby, fill holes by recruiting more one-year contracts AND get free agent LT, Branden Albert… Depending on what the Miami Dolphins do. The Dolphins are $39 million under the cap. If they want Branden Albert, and money is the only factor, I doubt the Cards could outbid Miami.
But if money is not the only determinant for Albert, don't rule out Big Red. Steve Keim has proven himself to be an excellent recruiter and very persuasive: Jon Abraham, Karlos Dansby, Eric Winston, Matt Shaugnessy and Rashard Mendenhall were major contributors to the Cardinals' 10-6 record in 2013. They all settled on Arizona as their free agent destination when they had other opportunities.
Recruiting professional football players is now one of the new talents a GM must possess. The Art of the One Year Deal has become "en vogue" in the National Football League. Persuading free agents to sign one-year deals with your team may be the difference between a winning team and everybody else. And when money is comparable and is not the end-all-be-all for coveted free agents, the ability of GMs to persuade players becomes a critical free agent factor.
In regard to Branden Albert playing LT for Arizona this season, let's hope it comes down to more than just money.
Ron Wolfley, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Report: Cardinals LB John Abraham arrested, charged with DUI in Georgia in June
- Notes from the Nest: July 28, 2014
- Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper: 'I felt OK' after first practice with pads
- Cardinals WR Michael Floyd on 2014 training camp: 'Everything comes faster'
- Teddy Williams looking to make Arizona Cardinals as a cornerback
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.