Updated Mar 1, 2014 - 12:56 pm
This means they have a real chance to re-sign Los Dirty, Karlos Dansby, fill holes by recruiting more one-year contracts AND get free agent LT, Branden Albert… Depending on what the Miami Dolphins do. The Dolphins are $39 million under the cap. If they want Branden Albert, and money is the only factor, I doubt the Cards could outbid Miami.
But if money is not the only determinant for Albert, don't rule out Big Red. Steve Keim has proven himself to be an excellent recruiter and very persuasive: Jon Abraham, Karlos Dansby, Eric Winston, Matt Shaugnessy and Rashard Mendenhall were major contributors to the Cardinals' 10-6 record in 2013. They all settled on Arizona as their free agent destination when they had other opportunities.
Recruiting professional football players is now one of the new talents a GM must possess. The Art of the One Year Deal has become "en vogue" in the National Football League. Persuading free agents to sign one-year deals with your team may be the difference between a winning team and everybody else. And when money is comparable and is not the end-all-be-all for coveted free agents, the ability of GMs to persuade players becomes a critical free agent factor.
In regard to Branden Albert playing LT for Arizona this season, let's hope it comes down to more than just money.
Ron Wolfley, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Bickley Blast - Thursday July 24What will the future hold for the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.