Cardinals coach: Team offered Karlos Dansby a contract day after season ended
A free agent in the prime of his career, Dansby left the desert for a five-year, $43 million contract.
The numbers would be different, but could it happen again?
Dansby, now 32, is again a free agent, and he happens to be coming off arguably the best season of his career. So, it's understandable if he thinks a pretty good contract should be coming his way.
The linebacker led the team with 122 total tackles last season while adding 6.5 sacks and four interceptions -- two of which he returned for touchdowns. He also tallied 19 passes defensed, and was named to the Associated Press All-NFL 2nd Team this season.
The Cardinals understandably, would like to have him back.
"Oh there's no doubt," coach Bruce Arians told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Friday. "We offered Karlos a contract the day after the season.
"We're still in the negotiation process. But yeah, he's a major priority because of what he brought to the table for us as a leader. We definitely would love to have him back."
To his credit, Dansby has said he expects to be a Cardinal next season, so he does not seem to be in any hurry to leave.
Until he signs a contract with the team, though, that will be a possibility. For the second time.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.