Updated Mar 8, 2014 - 9:23 pm
Fox Sports NFL insider: 'Player's coach' Arians makes Arizona Cardinals a prime destination
The same dilemma could be said of the Arizona Cardinals organization, but according to Fox Sports NFL insider Jay Glazer, head coach Bruce Arians is quickly changing the perception around.
"Look, the biggest selling point for the Cardinals used to be Scottsdale. Right? It's great, and of course somebody would want to move down here," Glazer said before his Saturday tee-off at the inaugural Arizona Golf Classic in Scottsdale, Ariz., hosted by the Arians Family Foundation. "But now playing for a guy like Bruce, (he) is the ultimate player's coach, without being a guy you can walk over."
Arians inherited a 5-11 squad and turned it into a 10-6 team in his first season at the helm. The Cardinals normally would have made the playoffs with such a mark, but they were unfortunate enough to be in the league's toughest conference, the NFC West, where two clubs -- the San Francisco 49ers and the Super Bowl-winning Seattle Seahawks -- had better records.
"He just connects with players," Glazer added. "So when you sit in a room with him, he's going to sell you. And same with (general manager) Steve Keim: You come in there and, you know what, these guys have completely changed the way this franchise is.
"It used to be a place, like I said, you'd come out here because you want to go hang out in Scottsdale. You can't blame them! But now you have a place where you go, 'These guys are a true and winning franchise.'"
The Fox Sports reporter also said Arian's success in Arizona has got NFL franchises reconsidering what kind of head coaches to look for when they have a vacancy.
"He's like the face of ageism in this league," said Glazer of the 61-year-old Arians, who never had a head coaching job in the league until partially through the 2012 season, where he spelled Chuck Pagano on an interim basis. "It's like how does this guy not get a shot years ago? Right? Because everybody looks for the young, hot guy, or it's the young this or young that. Meanwhile, you have a guy who can coach circles around everybody else."
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.