Updated Mar 9, 2014 - 2:58 pm
Agent confirms Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall to retire
ESPN's Adam Schefter reported via Twitter at 8:08 p.m. MDT that sources had told him that teams were told he would be retiring.
Mendenhall, as Schefter points out, alluded to the prospect of retiring in a column published by Huffington Post last month.
Sunday, his agent Mike McCartney of Priority Sports and Entertainment, confirmed the news with a pair of tweets.
The reports are true: @R_Mendenhall is retiring from the NFL. Rashard will explain why in his own words very soon. Stay tuned.— Mike McCartney (@MikeMcCartney7) March 9, 2014
It's been a great pleasure working with Rashard and his family. I am very excited for Rashard as he pursues what's next.— Mike McCartney (@MikeMcCartney7) March 9, 2014
In six NFL seasons, the Illinois product rushed for 4.236 yards and 37 touchdowns. Prior to joining the Cardinals in 2013, Mendenhall spent five seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers, rushing for more than 1,000 yards in 2009 and 2010.
Last season, with the Cardinals, Mendenhall logged 687 yards rushing in 217 attempts, fumbling a career-high four times over the course of 15 games.
The former first-round pick carries a Super Bowl ring into his retirement, thanks to his roster spot on the Steelers team which beat the Cardinals in Super Bowl XLIII.
Teams told Cardinals UFA RB Rashard Mendenhall is, in fact, retiring, per sources. Mendenhall hinted at in a Feb. 25 Huffington Post column.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 9, 2014
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.