Updated Mar 9, 2014 - 2:58 pm
Agent confirms Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall to retire
ESPN's Adam Schefter reported via Twitter at 8:08 p.m. MDT that sources had told him that teams were told he would be retiring.
Mendenhall, as Schefter points out, alluded to the prospect of retiring in a column published by Huffington Post last month.
Sunday, his agent Mike McCartney of Priority Sports and Entertainment, confirmed the news with a pair of tweets.
The reports are true: @R_Mendenhall is retiring from the NFL. Rashard will explain why in his own words very soon. Stay tuned.— Mike McCartney (@MikeMcCartney7) March 9, 2014
It's been a great pleasure working with Rashard and his family. I am very excited for Rashard as he pursues what's next.— Mike McCartney (@MikeMcCartney7) March 9, 2014
In six NFL seasons, the Illinois product rushed for 4.236 yards and 37 touchdowns. Prior to joining the Cardinals in 2013, Mendenhall spent five seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers, rushing for more than 1,000 yards in 2009 and 2010.
Last season, with the Cardinals, Mendenhall logged 687 yards rushing in 217 attempts, fumbling a career-high four times over the course of 15 games.
The former first-round pick carries a Super Bowl ring into his retirement, thanks to his roster spot on the Steelers team which beat the Cardinals in Super Bowl XLIII.
Teams told Cardinals UFA RB Rashard Mendenhall is, in fact, retiring, per sources. Mendenhall hinted at in a Feb. 25 Huffington Post column.— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) March 9, 2014
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- New Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga thrown right into the mix
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu practices for the first time this season
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.