NFL.com writer ranks Carson Palmer first among players most benefiting from free agency
After the first week of negotiations between players and teams, the Arizona Cardinals targeted the specific position players they needed, went out and got them.
The 34-year-old quarterback received help on the offensive line with the signing of 6-foot-8 tackle Jared Veldheer, previously with the Oakland Raiders and a former teammate of Palmer's.
NFL.com's Chris Wesseling put Palmer on the top of his list of the 12 biggest beneficiaries of free agency, citing the improvements along the offensive line as headlining the offseason moves for the Cardinals and protecting Palmer.
The Cardinals have ranked last in Pro Football Focus' pass-blocking metrics for two consecutive seasons, with left tackle as a primary culprit. Now the left side will be more than capably manned by a Matterhorn in Jared Veldheer and 2013 first-round pick Jonathan Cooper, one of the most athletic guards to enter the NFL in the past decade. General manager Steve Keim recently boasted that Palmer can spin the ball with any quarterback in the league when he has time. That claim will be put to the test in 2014.
After suffering a broken leg in a preseason game last season, Jonathan Cooper was forced to miss the entire year. As the seventh overall pick in last year's draft, Cooper is expected to line up to the right of Veldheer on the new and improved offensive line.
Wide receiver Ted Ginn and running back Jonathan Dwyer were also signed as free agents, adding offensive options for Palmer to use.
Palmer, who was ranked ahead of quarterbacks Matthew Stafford, Joe Flacco, Andrew Luck and Ryan Tannehill on the list, now has the weapons and protection to improve on last year's 10-6 campaign.
Finishing on the verge of the postseason last year, the Cardinals have focused on their areas of weakness and are making a strong case for Arizona as an enticing free agent destination.
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!