Arizona Cardinals GM: Jonathan Dwyer can get the tough yards
The running back had a respectable four-year run with the Pittsburgh Steelers after being selected in the sixth round of the 2010 draft out of Georgia Tech, but his career totals of 971 yards and two touchdowns are not exactly eye-popping.
But the Arizona Cardinals are not looking at the 5-foot-11, 229-pound Dwyer to be their lead back.
No, he just needs to complement what the team already has at the position.
"[Bruce Arians] is very familiar with him," Cardinals GM Steve Keim told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Friday. "He's a big banger. He's more similar to a Stepfan Taylor in terms of physical tools.
"He's not a nifty or a change-of-direction type athlete. He's a big downhill banger who can get you tough yards after contact."
At the very least, Dwyer would appear to be short-yardage insurance. Last season, Rashard Mendenhall led the Cardinals with eight rushing touchdowns, most of which came from near the goal line. That does not appear to be a great role for Andre Ellington, and Taylor is unproven.
Enter Dwyer, whom Keim and the Cardinals are excited to have on board.
"We liked him coming out of Georgia Tech and he's had some success in Pittsburgh," he said. "Once we work with him this offseason and continue to get his weight down a little bit, I think he's a guy that could do some good things for us."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!