Arizona Cardinals GM: Jonathan Dwyer can get the tough yards
The running back had a respectable four-year run with the Pittsburgh Steelers after being selected in the sixth round of the 2010 draft out of Georgia Tech, but his career totals of 971 yards and two touchdowns are not exactly eye-popping.
But the Arizona Cardinals are not looking at the 5-foot-11, 229-pound Dwyer to be their lead back.
No, he just needs to complement what the team already has at the position.
"[Bruce Arians] is very familiar with him," Cardinals GM Steve Keim told Doug and Wolf on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Friday. "He's a big banger. He's more similar to a Stepfan Taylor in terms of physical tools.
"He's not a nifty or a change-of-direction type athlete. He's a big downhill banger who can get you tough yards after contact."
At the very least, Dwyer would appear to be short-yardage insurance. Last season, Rashard Mendenhall led the Cardinals with eight rushing touchdowns, most of which came from near the goal line. That does not appear to be a great role for Andre Ellington, and Taylor is unproven.
Enter Dwyer, whom Keim and the Cardinals are excited to have on board.
"We liked him coming out of Georgia Tech and he's had some success in Pittsburgh," he said. "Once we work with him this offseason and continue to get his weight down a little bit, I think he's a guy that could do some good things for us."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals Bruce Arians not surprised James Harrison retired
- Christian Tupou, Kevin Cone, Dominique Williams added to Arizona Cardinals' practice squad
- New Arizona Cardinals LB Thomas Keiser: I wanted to go pass rush for somebody
- Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Max Hall arrested on shoplifting, drug charges
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Jonathan Cooper will be great for the team
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Tuesday September 2Bruce Arians thinks the NFC West has gotten stronger in 2014.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday September 2Will the NFL suspend 49ers' defensive end Ray McDonald?
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves