Right tackle Eric Winston expresses interest in returning to Cardinals, hasn't heard much
The veteran offensive tackle didn't sign a one-year deal with the Arizona Cardinals until days before the start of training camp in July 2013.
Winston is once again a free agent this spring, but the 30-year-old admits this time around he doesn't want to play the waiting game quite so long.
Speaking to Arizona Sports 98.7 FM's Dan Bickley for an azcentral.com article, Winston expressed his interest to re-sign with the Cardinals, though he's heard very little from their side.
"I can't say there have been super-positive talks or anything like that. It doesn't seem like anything is being done. I'd still love to come back to Arizona. I love the guys in the locker room, love the city, and I think the team will be really good with or without me. They're ready to have a special run out there."
"At the same time, it is what it is. I'm looking to get on a team as soon as possible, hopefully before the draft. I know I still have some miles left on the tires, and I'm looking to burn them off."
Winston, who was recently named the new president of the NFLPA, started all 16 games for Arizona in 2013. However according to ProFootballFocus.com, the former Pro Bowler entered the market as the fourth-worst offensive tackle available -- be it as unrestricted or restricted free agent.
While the Cardinals have all but addressed the left side of their line -- with the return of first-round draft pick Jonathan Cooper at left guard and the signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer to a five-year deal -- whether the team opts to ride into the new season with Bobby Massie, Winston or another option at right tackle remains to be seen.
The eight-year pro made $1.25 million with the Cardinals last season.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.