What if Mel Kiper Jr. was the GM of the Arizona Cardinals?
Somebody like ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper, Jr.
In his latest ESPN Insider piece, Kiper takes over the draft reins for all 32 NFL franchises, including the Cardinals.
After diagnosing Arizona's needs as safety, outside linebacker, wide receiver and tight end, Kiper went to work, choosing UCLA linebacker Anthony Barr in the first round (20th) overall, Alabama quarterback A.J. McCarron in the second (52nd) and Wyoming receiver Robert Herron in the third (84th).
Analysis: Left tackle was addressed in free agency, so the focus turns to the pass rush, and at this spot on the draft board I think Barr's upside is hard to pass on, even if his senior tape was underwhelming. At one time I thought he'd be a top-10 pick, but if Barr is more consistent and improves on his awareness (he converted from running back) he could become a steal at this slot. It's a close mix between need and "best player available" at this point. McCarron might seem like a bit of a luxury pick in Round 2, but tell me what the long-term solution is at QB in Arizona. The drop-off from Carson Palmer on the depth chart is scary-looking, Palmer isn't young, and the roster is good enough to take a shot on a developmental backup a little early. Herron can be electrifying after the catch, and there's a need for an added target at receiver after Larry Fitzgerald and Michael Floyd.
Barr had 23.5 sacks in his two seasons as a linebacker for the Bruins and was a two-time First Team All-Pac-12 selection and consensus All-American in 2013.
McCarron finished his career in Tuscaloosa as one of the most decorated quarterbacks in college football history. The Mobile, Ala. native went 36-4 in three years as a starter and guided the Crimson Tide to two BCS national championships.
Herron caught 152 passes for 2,030 yards and 20 touchdowns in his Wyoming career. In 2012, he was fourth in the nation when he averaged 21.2 yards per catch. Three of his eight touchdown catches were 70 yards or longer.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Arizona Cardinals RB Stepfan Taylor 'expecting more of a role' in 2014
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: Carson Chats - July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: All-Access with Bruce Arians - July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals rookie John Brown continues to impress while ignoring the hype
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b