Report: Detroit Lions tried to trade for Patrick Peterson in 2011 draft
Coming off a 5-11 season, the team needed help at quarterback, offensive line and secondary, and could have benefited from an improved pass rush, too.
The Panthers took QB Cam Newton from Auburn first, the Broncos selected Texas A&M pass rusher Von Miller second, the Bills tabbed Alabama defensive end Marcell Dareus third and the Bengals added Georgia receiver A.J. Green with the fourth pick.
The Cardinals were up, and according to Dave Birkett of the the Detroit Free Press, passed on at least one trade offer before taking cornerback Patrick Peterson out of LSU.
In a story detailing how Lions GM Martin Mayhew is willing to make big trades, Birkett recalls the deal that never happened.
In 2011, Mayhew tried to trade up from 13 to 5 to land Patrick Peterson, offering his first-, second- and fourth-round choices. Ultimately, the Arizona Cardinals wanted to stay put so they could take a player that's now one of the best cornerbacks in the NFL.
The Lions ended up taking defensive lineman Nick Fairley from Auburn with their first-round pick and Boise St. receiver Titus Young with their second. Their fourth-round pick ended up being traded to the Seattle Seahawks, who took receiver Kris Durham from Georgia.
As for the Cardinals, they got a player who has been to three Pro Bowls in three seasons -- once as a punt returner and twice as a cornerback.
Peterson has intercepted 12 passes in three seasons and has emerged as one of the NFL's better defensive backs.
Sometimes teams benefit from trades. Often times they benefit more from the deals they don't make.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.