Hopefully Zach Mettenberger didn't look too good
I am hopeful that Zach Mettenberger is available with the 52nd pick in the NFL Draft.
The LSU quarterback had his pro day Wednesday in front of a packed house of NFL decision-makers. His collegiate offensive coordinator, Cam Cameron, called the workout, "outstanding….almost miraculous" and given the circumstances you can certainly see why.
Mettenberger tore his ACL 13 weeks ago.
He threw nearly 125 passes in full shoulder pads and a helmet -- thanks to Johnny Football for the latest trend in pro days -- and did what a lot of quarterbacks do on their pro days: look really good.
Hopefully (there's that word again) he didn't look too good.
I've made no secret of thinking he'd be a perfect fit for the Cardinals; strong armed, pro-style but because of the injury on a slower track to be a starting quarterback. He's perfectly suited to slowly learn the game while the Cardinals get every last pass out of Carson Palmer's right arm.
Whether they like him I haven't a clue. The Cards have plenty of needs and technically quarterback isn't one of them, a fact that Bruce Arians has pointed out many times. At some point they will need one, and as we've learned from the draft it's better to take a player when you want to and not when you need to.
The draft is a month away and the rumors will begin to fly shortly. Until then, I'll keep an eye on our mock draft tracker with the hope that I don't see Mettenberger's name. Hopefully it stays right where I want it, which is somewhere later than the 51st pick.
Dave Burns, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.