Hopefully Zach Mettenberger didn't look too good
I am hopeful that Zach Mettenberger is available with the 52nd pick in the NFL Draft.
The LSU quarterback had his pro day Wednesday in front of a packed house of NFL decision-makers. His collegiate offensive coordinator, Cam Cameron, called the workout, "outstanding….almost miraculous" and given the circumstances you can certainly see why.
Mettenberger tore his ACL 13 weeks ago.
He threw nearly 125 passes in full shoulder pads and a helmet -- thanks to Johnny Football for the latest trend in pro days -- and did what a lot of quarterbacks do on their pro days: look really good.
Hopefully (there's that word again) he didn't look too good.
I've made no secret of thinking he'd be a perfect fit for the Cardinals; strong armed, pro-style but because of the injury on a slower track to be a starting quarterback. He's perfectly suited to slowly learn the game while the Cardinals get every last pass out of Carson Palmer's right arm.
Whether they like him I haven't a clue. The Cards have plenty of needs and technically quarterback isn't one of them, a fact that Bruce Arians has pointed out many times. At some point they will need one, and as we've learned from the draft it's better to take a player when you want to and not when you need to.
The draft is a month away and the rumors will begin to fly shortly. Until then, I'll keep an eye on our mock draft tracker with the hope that I don't see Mettenberger's name. Hopefully it stays right where I want it, which is somewhere later than the 51st pick.
Dave Burns, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- Walt Powell claimed by New York Jets
- How the West Was Won - Week 1
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals' offense will offset losses on defense, lead team to a winning record
- Cardinals awarded waiver claim on OLB Thomas Keiser, waive rookie WR Walt Powell
- Bauman, Golden, Sopoaga, Hardy among Arizona Cardinals' final roster cuts
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.