Hopefully Zach Mettenberger didn't look too good
I am hopeful that Zach Mettenberger is available with the 52nd pick in the NFL Draft.
The LSU quarterback had his pro day Wednesday in front of a packed house of NFL decision-makers. His collegiate offensive coordinator, Cam Cameron, called the workout, "outstanding….almost miraculous" and given the circumstances you can certainly see why.
Mettenberger tore his ACL 13 weeks ago.
He threw nearly 125 passes in full shoulder pads and a helmet -- thanks to Johnny Football for the latest trend in pro days -- and did what a lot of quarterbacks do on their pro days: look really good.
Hopefully (there's that word again) he didn't look too good.
I've made no secret of thinking he'd be a perfect fit for the Cardinals; strong armed, pro-style but because of the injury on a slower track to be a starting quarterback. He's perfectly suited to slowly learn the game while the Cardinals get every last pass out of Carson Palmer's right arm.
Whether they like him I haven't a clue. The Cards have plenty of needs and technically quarterback isn't one of them, a fact that Bruce Arians has pointed out many times. At some point they will need one, and as we've learned from the draft it's better to take a player when you want to and not when you need to.
The draft is a month away and the rumors will begin to fly shortly. Until then, I'll keep an eye on our mock draft tracker with the hope that I don't see Mettenberger's name. Hopefully it stays right where I want it, which is somewhere later than the 51st pick.
Dave Burns, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.