NFL.com's Brandt: Jonathan Cooper poised for a big 2014
The seventh pick in the 2013 draft out of North Carolina, he plays a position (guard) that does not receive much fanfare and, well, there was that whole thing about missing the entire season due to a broken leg suffered in the Cardinals' final preseason game.
But if all goes according to plan, Cooper will be the team's starting left guard this season, combining with free agent pickup Jared Veldheer to solidify the left side of the offensive line.
NFL.com's Gil Brandt believes he'll do that and more, as he detailed in a piece on players who will take a big step in their second NFL season.
Three rookie guards -- Kyle Long (Bears), Chance Warmack (Titans) and Larry Warford (Lions) -- played every down for their teams last season, with Long going on to make the Pro Bowl. And I thought Cooper had a chance to be better than all three. Unfortunately for the Cardinals, a broken leg suffered in the preseason kept the seventh overall pick from seeing a single regular-season snap. Now, though, I'm told by Cards people that he's 100 percent and looks great. Cooper has great functional strength, having tossed up 35 bench reps at the NFL Scouting Combine, and fine character to match. I expect him to start and play at a high level for the next 10 years, becoming a familiar face at the Pro Bowl in the process.
Cooper arrived with expectations fitting of a player selected early in the draft, and he seemed ready to live up to them prior to getting hurt.
And though he had to wait an extra season to make his impact on the Cardinals, he'll have another chance very shortly.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!