Mel Kiper: Cardinals' biggest need is at linebacker
He's one of the few afforded the time and ability to go in-depth about each team's needs and wants heading into draft day, and this year is no exception. ESPN on Monday released an insider article that Kiper put together on each NFL team's top four needs, and here's what the draft guru had to say about the Arizona Cardinals:
Outside linebacker: John Abraham may be sacking quarterbacks in 2030, but let's bet the under for now given he'll be 36 in May. I think the Cardinals should take a look at a pass-rushing option in one of the first two rounds. I love having some athleticism off the edge when facing Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick four times a season.
Safety: Even if they use Tyrann Mathieu in a safety-type role -- "safety" is a hybrid designation in many cases -- they could still use another piece at this position. And Mathieu will be coming back from a serious ACL injury.
Wide receiver: You can do a lot worse than a top two of Larry Fitzgerald and Michael Floyd, but Ted Ginn is arguably the No. 3 at this point after the departure of Andre Roberts, and the Cardinals could use another dependable target either here or at tight end.
Quarterback: Carson Palmer will turn 35 late in the 2014 season, and the depth chart behind him is pretty uninspiring. It'd be good to have a developmental option with at least the ceiling of a quality starter behind Palmer, and I don't think there's one on the current roster.
The Cardinals have been linked to a number of players that would bolster their defensive backfield, and their need at quarterback has been well-documented over the past several years -- even with the acquisition of Carson Palmer.
So while none of that is breaking news, there seems to be a general consensus of where the Cardinals should focus their efforts come May 8.
- Reunited with Bruce Arians, Arizona Cardinals tackle Max Starks looking forward to new challenges
- All-Access with Arians: Jobs still up for grabs, cuts will be difficult
- What I Saw -- Thursday, Aug. 21
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.