Arizona Cardinals LB Daryl Washington sentenced to probation
PHOENIX -- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Daryl Washington was sentenced to one year of supervised probation Wednesday in an aggravated assault case.
After originally pleading not guilty, Washington entered a guilty plea on March 24. He was arrested in May 2013 and charged with two counts of assault following a conflict with his ex-girlfriend.
According to the police report, Washington had paid a visit to the accuser's apartment to see their baby, which was not out of the ordinary. However, at some point Washington left to take the baby to Dairy Queen, which upset the woman.
Upon Washington's return with the baby, the report states he and his ex-girlfriend got into an argument, which continued as they reached the top of the apartment complex's stairs. The report states that from there, as the woman asked Washington to return the baby to her, he pushed her away and would not allow her to get close enough to him to take the baby. The report goes on to say Washington, at some point, "extended his hand and grabbed" the woman by the neck before pushing her over to the landing railing while choking her.
The report says Washington eventually let loose of his grip and the woman was able to take the baby from him, but as she tried to close the apartment door behind her he shoved it open and "pushed his way in."
The report says the woman's injuries were consistent with her account of the events.
It was later found that Washington and his ex-girlfriend had cases in Maricopa County's family court system.
Washington was a Pro Bowl alternate in 2012 after finishing the season with 134 tackles and nine sacks. The former second-round pick out of TCU has tallied 319 tackles, 15 sacks and four interceptions as an Arizona Cardinal. He signed a six-year, $32 million contract extension prior to the 2012 season.
- Walt Powell claimed by New York Jets
- How the West Was Won - Week 1
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals' offense will offset losses on defense, lead team to a winning record
- Cardinals awarded waiver claim on OLB Thomas Keiser, waive rookie WR Walt Powell
- Bauman, Golden, Sopoaga, Hardy among Arizona Cardinals' final roster cuts
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.