Thoughts on the 2014 Arizona Cardinals schedule
The Cardinals' 10-6 season received some respect and having Larry Fitzgerald and one of the best defenses in the league didn't hurt either. The Chargers were a playoff team from a year ago and Philip Rivers found a passing game under the tutelage of the departed, Ken Whisenhunt.
Having the bye week in week four sucks buttermilk. Not the 4th week of the season! Anything but a bye in September! As a former player, you'd rather barf on a flat rock than have your bye that early in the season.
There were some anomalies as well. This Big Red schedule is so balanced. They play 4 home games and 4 away games in each half of the season. And the rhythm is something I haven't seen since doing the Cards color for the last 9 years. Home-away, home-away, home-away, home-away- home for the first 9 weeks of the season.
What? Even the break in rhythm seems balanced, turning November into the wildcard month of their season. They have consecutive home games in November, STL and DET, and then back-to-back road games against Seattle and Atlanta before resuming the home-away sequence in December.
And their Thursday night game couldn't come at a better time. Week 14 they have a home game against KC then play Thursday night in Week 15 on the road in St. Louis. This will give them a mini-bye near the end of the season, while preparing for a home game against Seattle. The only negative I see is that your Thursday night game isn't a home game. But it's not like St Louis is a grueling flight. It should also be noted, that preparing for a division foe late in the season will alleviate much of the Thursday night consternation from the coaching offices. Big Red coaches will feel very comfortable getting their players ready on a short week for a team they have already played.
Finally, they end the season with sheer brutality by touring and sampling the NFC West: @STL, SEA, @SF.
There will be blood and we'll find out who is going to drink the other's milkshake! Isn't it great?
Ron Wolfley, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Walt Powell claimed by New York Jets
- How the West Was Won - Week 1
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals' offense will offset losses on defense, lead team to a winning record
- Cardinals awarded waiver claim on OLB Thomas Keiser, waive rookie WR Walt Powell
- Bauman, Golden, Sopoaga, Hardy among Arizona Cardinals' final roster cuts
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.