Updated Apr 26, 2014 - 7:46 pm
NFL.com All-Time Draft: Cardinals select RB Walter Payton with No. 20 pick
But in NFL.com's fictional All-Time Draft, the Cardinals dug deep into the pool of Hall of Famers and came out with one of the greatest backs ever to play the game at No. 20: Walter Payton.
"This could be a sweet pick for them with Walter Payton out of Jackson State," said NFL.com fantasy editor Michael Fabiano. "Can Walter Payton make an impact going from a small school to the National Football League? We'll see what happens."
Payton, a three-time NFL MVP and 1985 Super Champion, scored 110 career touchdowns and rush for a league record 16,726 yards during his 12-year tenure with the Chicago Bears from 1976-1987.
The nine-time Pro Bowler was inducted into Canton back in 1993.
Obviously, it's nothing more than some interesting filler before the league's actual selection show begins on May 8.
Nonetheless, it's nice to dream once in awhile.
"I like Payton, he can do everything," said NFL.com analyst Elliot Harrison. "I'll tell you what you have to look out for, Walter Payton can throw the halfback option. It'd be interesting to see that come back into the game. This guy is as durable as it gets. I like the pick."
Something tells us, Harrison wouldn't be alone with that final thought.
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.