Updated Apr 26, 2014 - 7:46 pm
NFL.com All-Time Draft: Cardinals select RB Walter Payton with No. 20 pick
But in NFL.com's fictional All-Time Draft, the Cardinals dug deep into the pool of Hall of Famers and came out with one of the greatest backs ever to play the game at No. 20: Walter Payton.
"This could be a sweet pick for them with Walter Payton out of Jackson State," said NFL.com fantasy editor Michael Fabiano. "Can Walter Payton make an impact going from a small school to the National Football League? We'll see what happens."
Payton, a three-time NFL MVP and 1985 Super Champion, scored 110 career touchdowns and rush for a league record 16,726 yards during his 12-year tenure with the Chicago Bears from 1976-1987.
The nine-time Pro Bowler was inducted into Canton back in 1993.
Obviously, it's nothing more than some interesting filler before the league's actual selection show begins on May 8.
Nonetheless, it's nice to dream once in awhile.
"I like Payton, he can do everything," said NFL.com analyst Elliot Harrison. "I'll tell you what you have to look out for, Walter Payton can throw the halfback option. It'd be interesting to see that come back into the game. This guy is as durable as it gets. I like the pick."
Something tells us, Harrison wouldn't be alone with that final thought.
- Walt Powell claimed by New York Jets
- How the West Was Won - Week 1
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals' offense will offset losses on defense, lead team to a winning record
- Cardinals awarded waiver claim on OLB Thomas Keiser, waive rookie WR Walt Powell
- Bauman, Golden, Sopoaga, Hardy among Arizona Cardinals' final roster cuts
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.