Updated Apr 28, 2014 - 5:22 pm
Could Mike Glennon be a future Arizona Cardinal?
Well, you can add "quarterback of the future" to the list. Quarterback is undoubtedly the most important position in football, yet there is a shortage of quality signal callers in the league. That leaves a lot of teams looking for their "quarterback of the future."
The Arizona Cardinals could be in that category. Carson Palmer, acquired from Oakland in a trade prior to the 2013 season, performed admirably in his first year in the desert -- especially the second half of the season. But he is 34 and most believe that his best years are behind him.
Does that mean the Cardinals will try to find their "QBOTF" in the draft next month? Not necessarily.
Reports are circulating that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are interested in trading quarterback Mike Glennon, their third-round pick from 2013.
Chris Wesseling of NFL.com (with help from Mike Silver) says the Cardinals could be a potential trade partner with the Bucs for Glennon's services, along with the Tennessee Titans, coached by former Cardinals head man Ken Whisenhunt.
Similar to Whisenhunt, Arians has always preferred big, strong-armed quarterbacks for his vertical offense. Glennon conducted a private workout for the Cardinals last season, and NFL Media columnist Michael Silver confirmed the team's interest in the former NC State star as Carson Palmer's eventual successor. We're not buying Arians' contention that Palmer will be under center for the next three or four years.
Wesseling also lists New England and Chicago as possibilities.
Glennon, the 6-foot-7 signal caller from North Carolina State, started 13 games for Tampa Bay as a rookie, completing 59.4 percent of his passes for 2,608 yards and 19 touchdowns.
Respectable numbers, indeed. But the coach and general manager who drafted Glennon (Greg Schiano and Mark Dominik) were both fired in the offseason. New head coach Lovie Smith announced last month that recently acquired quarterback Josh McCown would be his starter at the position, effectively placing Glennon on the trading block.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.