Updated Apr 28, 2014 - 5:22 pm
Could Mike Glennon be a future Arizona Cardinal?
Well, you can add "quarterback of the future" to the list. Quarterback is undoubtedly the most important position in football, yet there is a shortage of quality signal callers in the league. That leaves a lot of teams looking for their "quarterback of the future."
The Arizona Cardinals could be in that category. Carson Palmer, acquired from Oakland in a trade prior to the 2013 season, performed admirably in his first year in the desert -- especially the second half of the season. But he is 34 and most believe that his best years are behind him.
Does that mean the Cardinals will try to find their "QBOTF" in the draft next month? Not necessarily.
Reports are circulating that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are interested in trading quarterback Mike Glennon, their third-round pick from 2013.
Chris Wesseling of NFL.com (with help from Mike Silver) says the Cardinals could be a potential trade partner with the Bucs for Glennon's services, along with the Tennessee Titans, coached by former Cardinals head man Ken Whisenhunt.
Similar to Whisenhunt, Arians has always preferred big, strong-armed quarterbacks for his vertical offense. Glennon conducted a private workout for the Cardinals last season, and NFL Media columnist Michael Silver confirmed the team's interest in the former NC State star as Carson Palmer's eventual successor. We're not buying Arians' contention that Palmer will be under center for the next three or four years.
Wesseling also lists New England and Chicago as possibilities.
Glennon, the 6-foot-7 signal caller from North Carolina State, started 13 games for Tampa Bay as a rookie, completing 59.4 percent of his passes for 2,608 yards and 19 touchdowns.
Respectable numbers, indeed. But the coach and general manager who drafted Glennon (Greg Schiano and Mark Dominik) were both fired in the offseason. New head coach Lovie Smith announced last month that recently acquired quarterback Josh McCown would be his starter at the position, effectively placing Glennon on the trading block.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim likes what he's seen from rookie John Brown
- Notes from the Nest: July 27, 2014
- Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson reasserts self as NFL's best
- Earl Watford, Paul Fanaika battling for Arizona Cardinals' right guard job
- Patrick Peterson 'relieved' of offensive, special teams duties with Arizona Cardinals
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.
- Steve Keim, Arizona Cardinals GM - Monday July 28Cardinals GM Steve Keim talks about player evaluation during training camp.
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.