NFL Network draft analyst: Cardinals should go with defense in draft
While some experts have mocked up draft scenarios with the Cardinals taking a quarterback or another offensive weapon, NFL Network draft analyst Bucky Brooks says the team should draft to its strength.
"I think they are leaning towards upgrading their defense," Brooks told Burns and Gambo on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "When you look at their defense and the fact that their defense played lights out and that it kept them in contention and gave them an opportunity to really make a run at the playoffs, I think you can add a couple pieces. You have a Darnell Dockett who is getting a little older. Maybe you find a replacement for him, maybe a Ra'Shede Hageman, someone who can kind of fit the bill. Stephon Tuitt also can play in that position."
Brooks also said that the Cardinals would benefit greatly from a pass rusher who can get to the quarterback quick.
"The one thing that they are missing is someone that can wreak havoc on the outside on their own accord," Brooks said. "I know John Abraham did a good job, but look; he's 35, almost 36-years-old. You need to find a young guy that can get it done. That's why you are seeing a lot of people liking Dee Ford at that position and at that spot at 20."
Barring a trade, the Cardinals will be picking after the St. Louis Rams make two selections, and before the San Francisco 49ers and the Seattle Seahawks make their first. The Cardinals are looking to surpass their NFC West foes, and Brooks says defense is the way to do it.
"We talk about the Cardinals defense being their strength and if they are going to fortify that, imagine the kind of damage they can wreak on the NFC West," Brooks said. "You have to find a way to own your division. The only way that you can own your division is to build enough ammunition to take down the Seattle Seahawks and the San Francisco 49ers. Those are two of the best defensive teams in all of football. I think we can say that either one of their offenses are the most explosive in the game, but because of their defense and because they are able to run the ball and find ways to score, they are always a tough out. The Arizona Cardinals are right there. Adding a couple pieces, a pass rusher or maybe another safety or maybe even a nickel cornerback gives them an opportunity to get over the hump."
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Arizona Cardinals' Lorenzo Alexander: Seattle Seahawks play championship game every week
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald beats Seattle Seahawks' Earl Thomas, gets slimed anyway
- Arizona Cardinals ranked 11th in Pro Football Talk's preseason power rankings
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.
- Kurt Warner, former AZ Cardinals QB - Thursday June 19How does he feel about being inducted into Cardinals' Ring of Honor?
- Kurt Warner- Former Cardinals QB - Wednesday June 18Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner talks about being inducted into the Ring of Honor.