Updated May 8, 2014 - 9:54 pm
Arizona Cardinals select Deone Bucannon with first-round pick
Bucannon, a 6-foot-1, 216-pound safety out of Washington State, ran a 4.48 40-yard dash to go along with a 36.5 inch vertical jump at the NFL Combine. Safety was one of the Cardinals' biggest defensive needs heading into the draft.
"Not only do we feel like we filled a specific need, but we fill it with a player who we've targeted for quite some time," Cardinals general manager Steve Keim said. "Deone Bucannon is a very talented guy."
Known as an imposing, physical defender, Bucannon intercepted six passes last season to go along with 114 tackles, including 4.5 tackles for loss and three forced fumbles.
Bucannon becomes the first safety taken by the Cardinals in the first round since they selected Ken Greene out of Washington State with No. 19 pick in the 1978 NFL Draft.
"It's a whirlwind. I looked on the board and saw Arizona and there is no other place that I want to be," Bucannon said in a conference call. "I went on 20 different visits, and Arizona was by far the place that I wanted to go to."
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.