Updated May 8, 2014 - 9:54 pm
Arizona Cardinals select Deone Bucannon with first-round pick
Bucannon, a 6-foot-1, 216-pound safety out of Washington State, ran a 4.48 40-yard dash to go along with a 36.5 inch vertical jump at the NFL Combine. Safety was one of the Cardinals' biggest defensive needs heading into the draft.
"Not only do we feel like we filled a specific need, but we fill it with a player who we've targeted for quite some time," Cardinals general manager Steve Keim said. "Deone Bucannon is a very talented guy."
Known as an imposing, physical defender, Bucannon intercepted six passes last season to go along with 114 tackles, including 4.5 tackles for loss and three forced fumbles.
Bucannon becomes the first safety taken by the Cardinals in the first round since they selected Ken Greene out of Washington State with No. 19 pick in the 1978 NFL Draft.
"It's a whirlwind. I looked on the board and saw Arizona and there is no other place that I want to be," Bucannon said in a conference call. "I went on 20 different visits, and Arizona was by far the place that I wanted to go to."
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Locking up Patrick Peterson was a great move by the Cardinals
- Kenny Demens making plays while looking to make Arizona Cardinals roster
- Arizona Cardinals Patrick Peterson ‘earned' right to be highest-paid CB
- CBS Sports' Pete Prisco: Arizona Cardinals raving about how fast John Brown has picked things up
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.