Cardinals second-round pick Troy Niklas: By The Numbers
With that in mind, the Cardinals used their second-round pick in the 2014 NFL Draft Friday on Notre Dame tight end Troy Niklas.
He's a look at the 6-foot-7 standout by the numbers:
Because of his standout junior campaign -- 32 catches and five touchdowns -- Niklas earned his first and only All-Independent first team selection.
2 Part I:
Since the Cardinals moved to the Valley, only two Irish players have been selected by the organization -- wide receiver Michael Floyd and Niklas.
2 Part II:
Niklas became the second member of Hall of Fame guard Bruce Matthews' family to be taken in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft. His cousin, Jake, was taken by the Atlanta Falcons with No. 6 overall pick.
Considered a big-play threat, Niklas caught seven balls of over 20 yards in 2013.
Niklas became the fifth tight end selected by the Cardinals over the last 10 years, joining Ben Petrick, Leonard Pope, Dray and Housler.
Since the AFL-NFL merger in 1970, 10 tight ends from Notre Dame have been selected in the first or second round of the NFL Draft.
After transitioning from linebacker to tight end before the 2012 season, Niklas started 20 career games with the Irish.
Before Friday, the Cardinals hadn't made a pick at the No. 52 slot since they selected linebacker Ted Bates in the 1959 NFL Draft.
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.