Updated May 9, 2014 - 8:29 pm
Cardinals snag defensive end Kareem Martin with the No. 84 pick in the 2014 NFL Draft
With the No. 84 pick, the Cardinals snagged defensive end Kareem Martin out of North Carolina.
Though with Arizona, he may be asked to play the Will linebacker.
"For us, the Will linebacker is really a defensive end," Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians said. "The Sam, you're just standing up and setting the edge of the defense, which he has good enough strength to do. I think he's more comfortable with his hand in the dirt, but we'll see how that goes."
A three-year starter for the Tar Heels, Martin left Chapel Hill with 45.5 tackles for a loss, 19.5 sacks and four forced fumbles.
The 2013 All-ACC first teamer closed his career with a tremendous senior campaign, recording a career-high 11.5 sacks -- good for third-best in the conference.
Martin becomes the second Tar Heel taken by the Cardinals in as many years, joining last year's No. 7 overall pick Jonathan Cooper.
"He was a great offensive lineman," Martin said of Cooper. "I got the best of him a few times, but he's just so technically-sound that he was hard to beat on a consistent basis."
- Arizona Cardinals running back Jonathan Dwyer relishing opportunity in the desert
- Being first is an important step for the Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals' Dockett: Peterson will 'definitely be a future Hall of Famer'
- Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner thankful for patience of fans, organization
- Notes from the Nest: July 30, 2014
- Jonathan Dwyer, Arizona Cardinals RB - Friday August 1Cardinals RB Jonathan Dwyer talks about coming to a new team.
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.