Updated May 9, 2014 - 8:29 pm
Cardinals snag defensive end Kareem Martin with the No. 84 pick in the 2014 NFL Draft
With the No. 84 pick, the Cardinals snagged defensive end Kareem Martin out of North Carolina.
Though with Arizona, he may be asked to play the Will linebacker.
"For us, the Will linebacker is really a defensive end," Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians said. "The Sam, you're just standing up and setting the edge of the defense, which he has good enough strength to do. I think he's more comfortable with his hand in the dirt, but we'll see how that goes."
A three-year starter for the Tar Heels, Martin left Chapel Hill with 45.5 tackles for a loss, 19.5 sacks and four forced fumbles.
The 2013 All-ACC first teamer closed his career with a tremendous senior campaign, recording a career-high 11.5 sacks -- good for third-best in the conference.
Martin becomes the second Tar Heel taken by the Cardinals in as many years, joining last year's No. 7 overall pick Jonathan Cooper.
"He was a great offensive lineman," Martin said of Cooper. "I got the best of him a few times, but he's just so technically-sound that he was hard to beat on a consistent basis."
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- All-Access with Arians: Running game is fine, defense is better than last year
- John Abraham feels good after first practice, confident he'll be ready soon
- Arizona Cardinals release DT Anthony McCloud
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians loves the look of his defense at this point in training camp.
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals DE - Thursday August 21Calais talks about the state of the Cardinals defense.
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.