Updated May 9, 2014 - 10:31 pm
Arizona Cardinals coach: Team likely to ease up on Patrick Peterson returning punts
The cornerback out of LSU returned 44 punts for 699 yards and four touchdowns, which tied an NFL single-season record.
His numbers as a returner have declined each of the last two seasons, though, and as Peterson's worth as a cornerback has grown, the team's desire to have him return kicks has decreased.
And now, following what was a season-ending injury to Tyrann Mathieu while returning a kick last year along with the offseason additions of Ted Ginn, Jr. and rookie John Brown, it appears his time playing anywhere but on defense may be coming to an end.
"We'd like to ease that up a little bit anyway, just because of what happened to Tyrann and let him just focus on taking out receivers and doing his job there," Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said Friday. "But, also, he's still dynamic enough to do it.
"His wide receiver days might be over."
Peterson was targeted eight times in the passing game last season, producing six catches for 54 yards.
When he was drafted, the Cardinals needed the speed as a returner. Last season, they needed it in the passing game. Peterson provided both.
But with the additions of Ginn, who has amassed 7,767 yards and six touchdowns as a returner in the NFL and now Brown, who averaged 11.5 yards per punt return and 32.4 yards per kick return last season at Pittsburg State, it appears the Cardinals can get by without using their top cornerback anywhere but on the opponent's best receiver.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.