Updated May 9, 2014 - 10:32 pm
For now, Arizona Cardinals take a pass on quarterback
None of those five were selected by the Cardinals, however.
"Why," head coach Bruce Arians responded when asked on Friday what he would tell fans who were hoping the team would draft a signal caller.
"I mean we've got three pretty good ones," he continued. "And you don't take quarterbacks if they're not going to beat the guys out that you have."
What the Cardinals have in their quarterback room are Carson Palmer, Drew Stanton and Ryan Lindley.
Palmer started all 16 games last season, throwing for 4,274 yards and 24 touchdowns, 16 of which came during the team's 7-2 finish.
He was the lone quarterback to take a snap; and in Arians' opinion can play for several more seasons.
"Oh, there's no doubt," he said. "You're looking at Peyton (Manning) at 38 -- the longevity of the athletes today with the technology and the medical profession, they're going to go a lot longer than guys have gone in the past as long you (he knocks on the table twice) stay injury free."
Palmer, 34, becomes a free agent at the end of this season -- the third year of his three-year contract he signed after being acquired from the Raiders voids if he's on the roster five days after the Super Bowl.
Stanton, who has not thrown a pass in a regular season game since 2010, is under contract through 2015, as is Lindley, the Cardinals' sixth-round pick in 2012.
The five quarterbacks drafted through three rounds: Blake Bortles (No. 3, Jacksonville), Johnny Manziel (No. 22, Cleveland), Teddy Bridgewater (No. 32, Minnesota), Derek Carr (No. 36, Oakland) and Jimmy Garoppolo (No. 62, New England).
"I know people rate quarterbacks," Arians said. "I've been doing this for a long time, rating quarterbacks. I like ours better."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Bickley Blast - Thursday July 24What will the future hold for the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.