Arizona Cardinals place emphasis on character as well as talent in 2014 NFL Draft
However, often times talent trumps everything, and teams take a chance on someone with questionable habits or tendencies in order to add someone with undeniable skill.
Four picks into the 2014 NFL Draft, it's clear the Cardinals have put an emphasis on not just the player, but also the person he is.
Deone Bucannan was a captain at Washington State. Kareem Martin held that honor at North Carolina. John Brown did the same at Pittsburg State.
"It talks about the character of a player," Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said of being a team captain. "John Brown was a three-time captain I believe, and Kareem was a captain I believe, so anytime you put a ‘C' on their chest in college, the respect of their teammates and coaches is there. That says a lot and speaks volumes for me, as far as football character."
That can come up big at times.
"I've always been a leader by example," Martin said. "This past season, the biggest thing I did was step up vocally. The guys would listen to what I say and I found that out. I kind of ran with it from there.
"Just being a vocal leader this past season really, I think, is one of the things that turned our season around after such a slow start."
Talent matters, but it's not the only thing that helps a team win games.
Part of what made last year's Cardinals so successful is the leadership the team had in the locker room. Of course, the Cardinals aren't just picking players because they are hard workers or nice guys. But there is no doubt the team has placed an emphasis on things that are not always seen on the field itself.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals' Dockett: Peterson will 'definitely be a future Hall of Famer'
- Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner thankful for patience of fans, organization
- Notes from the Nest: July 30, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals to host Fan Fest this weekend
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.