Arizona Cardinals place emphasis on character as well as talent in 2014 NFL Draft
However, often times talent trumps everything, and teams take a chance on someone with questionable habits or tendencies in order to add someone with undeniable skill.
Four picks into the 2014 NFL Draft, it's clear the Cardinals have put an emphasis on not just the player, but also the person he is.
Deone Bucannan was a captain at Washington State. Kareem Martin held that honor at North Carolina. John Brown did the same at Pittsburg State.
"It talks about the character of a player," Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said of being a team captain. "John Brown was a three-time captain I believe, and Kareem was a captain I believe, so anytime you put a ‘C' on their chest in college, the respect of their teammates and coaches is there. That says a lot and speaks volumes for me, as far as football character."
That can come up big at times.
"I've always been a leader by example," Martin said. "This past season, the biggest thing I did was step up vocally. The guys would listen to what I say and I found that out. I kind of ran with it from there.
"Just being a vocal leader this past season really, I think, is one of the things that turned our season around after such a slow start."
Talent matters, but it's not the only thing that helps a team win games.
Part of what made last year's Cardinals so successful is the leadership the team had in the locker room. Of course, the Cardinals aren't just picking players because they are hard workers or nice guys. But there is no doubt the team has placed an emphasis on things that are not always seen on the field itself.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Bickley Blast - Thursday July 24What will the future hold for the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.