Updated May 11, 2014 - 9:33 pm
Cardinals' fifth-rounder surprised by late selection
The time he spent sticking around, waiting for his name to be called on Friday and Saturday, as the NFL Draft drudged on, must have been far less pleasant.
"It was surprising that I lasted this long," the defensive end told reporters via conference call after his fifth-round selection by general manager Steve Keim and the Arizona Cardinals.
Though starting 12 of Alabama's 13 games in his senior year -- and all 14 the season prior -- Stinson underwent surgery to repair the groin injury that plagued him for most of 2013. The Miami-Dade County product blamed that for his drop in draft stock when asked what might have cost him.
"The groin injury thing -- that's the only thing I can think of (hurting my stock)," Stinson said Saturday.
Fortunately, though, the lineman made a connection with Cardinals defensive line coach Brentson Buckner during his pro day.
And despite his plummet to the sixth round, Stinson -- who is considered to be an elite run stopper, though lacking noteworthy pass rushing prowess -- is expected to make an immediate impact by analysts, thanks to his experience in 3-4 defensive formation and his high football IQ.
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 1, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals LB John Abraham releases statement on June DUI arrest
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely on proposal to push PATs back: 'There's going to be a lot more injuries'
- Cardinals rookie receiver John Brown doing more than relying on physical talents in training camp
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Brown sits out, Starks adds depth, Abraham will be in camp 'soon'
- Kareem Martin, Arizona Cardinals defensive end - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ defensive end Kareem Martin speaks on his first NFL training camp experience.
- Tony Jefferson, Arizona Cardinals safety - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ safety Tony Jefferson discusses training camp improvements.
- Bob McManaman, azcentral sports writer - Friday August 1azcentral sports writer Bob McManaman joins the show at Cardinals training camp.
- John Brown, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 1Cardinals rookie wide receiver John Brown says he is different from other rookies.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 1Are the fortunes of the Arizona Cardinals changing?