Scouting report: Arizona Cardinals sixth-rounder Walt Powell
For the Arizona Cardinals, there were two such players in this year's draft: third-round speedster John Brown out of Pittsburg State and Murray State's Walt Powell -- the team's final selection of 2014.
While many may be scratching their head at the selection, Powell truly projects as another "Bruce Arians-type" receiver. He isn't a speed guy -- like a lot of the coach's preferred targets -- but he offers a lot in other areas.
Walt Powell, WR Murray State
5-foot-11, 189 pounds
· Smooth route runner and athlete.
· Good understanding of working underneath routes.
· Excels running after the catch.
· Special teams ace in the return game.
· Solid hands and a reliable receiver.
· Is not an elite speed athlete.
· More quick than fast, with good start and stop ability, but isn't a deep threat.
· Has to get stronger getting off press coverage.
· Looks like a slot only guy in the NFL.
Powell will have to make his money as an undersized slot receiver, being a reliable target for Carson Palmer. But most importantly, he'll have to excel in the return game.
While the Cardinals already have Ted Ginn Jr, it is conceivable that Powell could offer the Cardinals something more as a return guy than Ginn outside of the 2014 season, and that could be the reason for this selection.
It will be interesting to see if Powell can make the roster and what type of impact he can have at the NFL level, as he does have some slot ability while doubling as a dangerous return man.
Best case scenario: Powell could become a return specialist, special teams ace and fifth receiver.
Seth Cox/TSHQ.co, Editor-in-chief of TSHQ.co
- Arizona Cardinals begin camp with confidence and optimism
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu takes another step closer to returning to the field
- Cardinals ILB Kevin Minter on trying to replace Karlos Dansby: 'It's going to be like college again'
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals need to run the football to win in the NFC West
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.