Scouting report: Arizona Cardinals sixth-rounder Walt Powell
For the Arizona Cardinals, there were two such players in this year's draft: third-round speedster John Brown out of Pittsburg State and Murray State's Walt Powell -- the team's final selection of 2014.
While many may be scratching their head at the selection, Powell truly projects as another "Bruce Arians-type" receiver. He isn't a speed guy -- like a lot of the coach's preferred targets -- but he offers a lot in other areas.
Walt Powell, WR Murray State
5-foot-11, 189 pounds
· Smooth route runner and athlete.
· Good understanding of working underneath routes.
· Excels running after the catch.
· Special teams ace in the return game.
· Solid hands and a reliable receiver.
· Is not an elite speed athlete.
· More quick than fast, with good start and stop ability, but isn't a deep threat.
· Has to get stronger getting off press coverage.
· Looks like a slot only guy in the NFL.
Powell will have to make his money as an undersized slot receiver, being a reliable target for Carson Palmer. But most importantly, he'll have to excel in the return game.
While the Cardinals already have Ted Ginn Jr, it is conceivable that Powell could offer the Cardinals something more as a return guy than Ginn outside of the 2014 season, and that could be the reason for this selection.
It will be interesting to see if Powell can make the roster and what type of impact he can have at the NFL level, as he does have some slot ability while doubling as a dangerous return man.
Best case scenario: Powell could become a return specialist, special teams ace and fifth receiver.
Seth Cox/TSHQ.co, Editor-in-chief of TSHQ.co
- CBS Sports' Pete Prisco: Arizona Cardinals raving about how fast John Brown has picked things up
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson on contract extension: 'I haven't had my reality check just yet'
- The Floyd Factor
- Patrick Peterson becomes highest paid CB, Richard Sherman has something to say (tweet)
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.