Updated May 12, 2014 - 12:44 pm
Arizona Cardinals 2014 NFL Draft class 'not sexy but solid'
The Arizona Cardinals made seven selections over the three-day 2014 NFL Draft, taking four offensive and three defensive players:
|Troy Niklas||TE||2||52||Notre Dame
"You know what I love about it is I look at all those names," general manager Steve Keim said, "and I see guys who are big-time competitors, who love the game and bring an element of toughness to our locker room, which I don't think you can ever have enough of."
While it's a bit premature to make a final judgment on Keim's second draft class, one early review is quite favorable.
"The Cardinals have had a solid draft so far, not sexy but solid," NFL Network draft expert Mike Mayock said during the broadcast on Saturday.
Keim stayed true to his board, drafting the best available player with a nod toward filling a need.
The Cardinals may not have had any immediate needs, but they did need to add depth at various positions, which will continue now with the signing of undrafted rookie free agents, specifically running back and along the offensive line.
"I've walked out of this building for many years when we got As and Bs (on our draft) and those players didn't turn out to be good players," Keim said. "So you have to just trust what you're doing and trust your board. And I trust the people in our room. And again, you have to avoid the noise sometimes and avoid what people are saying and you can't get caught up in some of the hype.
"Again, I've always trusted what I see on tape, and I think that we came away with a pretty good class."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Bickley Blast - Thursday July 24What will the future hold for the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald?
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.