Updated May 11, 2014 - 8:50 am
Cardinals' draft picks John Brown and Ed Stinson once childhood neighbors
But growing up, Arizona Cardinals third-round pick John Brown and fifth-round pick Ed Stinson were just a few houses from one another.
Local media learned of the connection between the two picks on Saturday, when Stinson joined a conference call after he was selected.
"I was surprised that my friend went to the same team," the former Crimson Tide defensive lineman said in his opening reaction to his draft.
At first, no one seemed to know who he was speaking of. After revealing it was Brown, he continued to connect the dots.
"We went to the same high school, then he transferred and we became rivals," Stinson said of Brown, who played his college ball at Pittsburg State in Kansas.
He also revealed a little-known secret about the speedy receiver.
"When he was younger, he wasn't fast at all," Stinson said, laughing. "When he was younger, he was the slowest kid on the block."
But it was Brown who beat Stinson off the board, as a surprising third-rounder Friday. The 290-pound defensive end said he's proud of his childhood friend for making it.
"He busted his behind to get where he's at."
Me and Ed Stinson same hood and same nfl team now.— john brown (@RIPJWALK5) May 10, 2014
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- All-Access with Arians: Running game is fine, defense is better than last year
- John Abraham feels good after first practice, confident he'll be ready soon
- Arizona Cardinals release DT Anthony McCloud
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians loves the look of his defense at this point in training camp.
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals DE - Thursday August 21Calais talks about the state of the Cardinals defense.
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.