Updated May 12, 2014 - 1:40 pm
Arizona Cardinals cut former second-round pick Ryan Williams
Unfortunately, it never really started.
The team announced Monday it had released the running back, marking the end of the former second-round pick's rocky three-year run with the team.
Largely because of injury, Williams was never really able to get on track with the Cardinals. Selected 38th overall out of Virginia Tech, his rookie season was ended after he ruptured the patellar tendon in his right knee during a preseason game against the Green Bay Packers.
The following season, finally healthy, he injured his left shoulder during a Week 5 loss to the St. Louis Rams.
Williams appeared to be close to the chopping block during preseason last year, but was able to get healthy, finish strong and keep his roster spot. He was inactive for all 16 games, however, and could only watch as rookies Andre Ellington and Stepfan Taylor cemented their roles as part of the team's offense behind veteran Rashard Mendenhall.
There was a reason was i was hidden last yr, business can be really funny lol but like i said, cream always rise to the top!! Thanks u all!!— Tuxedo Mask (@lilsweetness34) May 12, 2014
When asked about Williams' future with the team in February, Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said the running back would have a chance in 2014.
"He went into training camp, missed the entire preseason. It's very hard to become a player during the season when you've got three guys in front of you," he said. "And he did impressive things with our scout team."
At the time, though, Arians noted that there was always a chance the back's future could not involve Arizona, adding that if the team found a better option at the position, "he'll be gone."
Williams finished his time in Arizona with 164 yards on 58 carries. He also gained 44 yards on seven receptions.
Along with Williams, the Cardinals also cut tight end Brett Brackett, center John Estes and linebacker Kenny Rowe.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Arizona Cardinals RB Stepfan Taylor 'expecting more of a role' in 2014
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: Carson Chats - July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: All-Access with Bruce Arians - July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals rookie John Brown continues to impress while ignoring the hype
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b