Updated May 12, 2014 - 1:40 pm
Arizona Cardinals cut former second-round pick Ryan Williams
Unfortunately, it never really started.
The team announced Monday it had released the running back, marking the end of the former second-round pick's rocky three-year run with the team.
Largely because of injury, Williams was never really able to get on track with the Cardinals. Selected 38th overall out of Virginia Tech, his rookie season was ended after he ruptured the patellar tendon in his right knee during a preseason game against the Green Bay Packers.
The following season, finally healthy, he injured his left shoulder during a Week 5 loss to the St. Louis Rams.
Williams appeared to be close to the chopping block during preseason last year, but was able to get healthy, finish strong and keep his roster spot. He was inactive for all 16 games, however, and could only watch as rookies Andre Ellington and Stepfan Taylor cemented their roles as part of the team's offense behind veteran Rashard Mendenhall.
There was a reason was i was hidden last yr, business can be really funny lol but like i said, cream always rise to the top!! Thanks u all!!— Tuxedo Mask (@lilsweetness34) May 12, 2014
When asked about Williams' future with the team in February, Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said the running back would have a chance in 2014.
"He went into training camp, missed the entire preseason. It's very hard to become a player during the season when you've got three guys in front of you," he said. "And he did impressive things with our scout team."
At the time, though, Arians noted that there was always a chance the back's future could not involve Arizona, adding that if the team found a better option at the position, "he'll be gone."
Williams finished his time in Arizona with 164 yards on 58 carries. He also gained 44 yards on seven receptions.
Along with Williams, the Cardinals also cut tight end Brett Brackett, center John Estes and linebacker Kenny Rowe.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!