Arizona Cardinals' defensive coordinator: It falls on everybody to help replace Karlos Dansby
They signed cornerback Antonio Cromartie and re-signed defensive lineman Matt Shaughnessy while also drafting safety Deone Bucannon, defensive end Kareem Martin and defensive tackle Ed Stinson.
While that's all nice, the elephant in the room, so to speak, is the departure of inside linebacker Karlos Dansby to the Cleveland Browns.
Arguably the team's defensive MVP last season, the Cardinals are going to have to find a way to replace his 122 total tackles, 6.5 sacks and four interceptions.
Conventional wisdom would say that responsibility will likely fall on Kevin Minter, a second-round pick out of LSU last year who was expected to see plenty of time as a rookie but was forced to play only on special teams due to Dansby's career season.
"I don't think you do it at the position; you do it by making everyone do their jobs," Cardinals defensive coordinator Todd Bowles told Bickley and Marotta Tuesday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "That doesn't fall solely on Kevin Minter, playing the mike linebacker, it falls on the corners covering better, the d-line playing better and everyone doing their job."
The way Bowles sees it, you can't expect someone to come in and replace Dansby's production.
"You may replace the player and do different things with the player you have and you replace it that way," he said. "But I think everybody's making a mistake and putting it all on the middle linebacker when it has to come from everywhere else."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals to host Fan Fest this weekend
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Locking up Patrick Peterson was a great move by the Cardinals
- Kenny Demens making plays while looking to make Arizona Cardinals roster
- Arizona Cardinals Patrick Peterson ‘earned' right to be highest paid CB
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.