Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim: Tyrann Mathieu could return at start of season
Their fears were confirmed when tests showed Mathieu had torn the ACL and LCL in his left knee -- an injury that normally requires a rehabilitation program of one calendar year. That schedule would mean that Mathieu would miss most, if not all of his second season in the league.
But that might not be the case, according to general manager Steve Keim.
"We think there's a chance he'll be back by the beginning of the season," Keim told Adam Schein on SiriusXM Radio Friday. "I told him, when the doctors initially put a timeline on a player's injury, he's the one guy that is so much different than anyone else because of his passion and his toughness.
"I told him, I said 'Ty, don't listen to anybody. Nobody can tell you and pinpoint the exact return date -- that's up to you.' And he's a machine. He's the kind of guy that I really think could come back a lot earlier than people anticipated."
Keim didn't only gush about Mathieu's work ethic and diligence in his rehab, but about him in general.
"He's fantastic," Keim said. "He's constantly texting me, whether it's about other draftable players that he liked -- he's just a student of the game. He was a guy that we obviously took a chance on, a calculated risk. And he showed up big for us on the field, but really made a bigger difference off the field.
"He has grown up tremendously. He's a gym rat, he's in here all the time, I mean we have to kick him out of the building and tell him 'Tyrann, go home for a little bit.' He's always in the training room, doing his rehab, he's in the weight room. He's walking around our hallways talking to the coaches. He has been really a joy so far and we're excited about his progress."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals begin camp with confidence and optimism
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu takes another step closer to returning to the field
- Cardinals ILB Kevin Minter on trying to replace Karlos Dansby: 'It's going to be like college again'
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals need to run the football to win in the NFC West
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.