Updated May 23, 2014 - 12:17 pm
ESPN poll: Patrick Peterson a better all-around football player than Richard Sherman
As of Friday afternoon, 47 of 50 states, along with international respondents, agreed with that sentiment.
The poll comes on the heels of a spat between the two cornerbacks, which started when Peterson said Sherman was not a "shutdown corner" as a guest Thursday on Bickley and Marotta on Arizona Sports 98.7.
Predictably, Washington and Oregon think Sherman is the better player, according to the poll, but said Peterson is "close" to his counterpart.
Peterson played college football at LSU and naturally his strongest backers are from Louisiana (79 percent). In Arizona, Peterson has 69 percent support, which is second-highest.
The poll doesn't say that Peterson is a better cornerback than Sherman, just a more complete football player.
Peterson has returned four punts for touchdowns in his career -- all in his rookie season. Peterson has also made 10 catches for 64 yards and has seven carries for 34 yards.
Sherman has only returned one punt in his NFL career -- for -6 yards, but in 2009 at Stanford, Sherman took back 15 punts for 154 yards and scored a touchdown.
Results from another ESPN poll say that 48 percent of people think Peterson is the best shutdown corner compared to 41 percent for Sherman.
Undoubtedly, the trash talk between the two cornerbacks will continue into the regular season. The next meeting between the Cardinals and Seahawks is Week 12 in Seattle.
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- All-Access with Arians: Running game is fine, defense is better than last year
- John Abraham feels good after first practice, confident he'll be ready soon
- Arizona Cardinals release DT Anthony McCloud
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians loves the look of his defense at this point in training camp.
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals DE - Thursday August 21Calais talks about the state of the Cardinals defense.
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.