Former ASU WR Kevin Ozier hoping to latch on with Cardinals
The Arizona Cardinals have offered Ozier a tryout. He has three days at Cardinals' rookie camp to show the team's coaches his skillset and potential.
"It's just like at ASU," Ozier said. "I'm starting from the bottom. Not known, undrafted walk-on. Basically it's a tryout basis so I got to come out working harder than everyone and make the best of every opportunity I get to try to make a name for myself and stand out to the coaches."
During his collegiate career, Ozier caught 55 passes for 847 yards and seven touchdowns. At times, he lived out of his car before earning a scholarship under then-first-year coach Todd Graham.
To earn a spot on the Cardinals' roster, Ozier needs to stand out from fierce competition, even among rookies.
Although, Cardinals coach Bruce Arians admitted there is hope for undrafted rookies.
"We're going to play the best guy," Arians said. "I don't care how you got here, when you got here, if you're the best guy, you're going to play."
The Cardinals drafted wide receivers John Brown (Pittsburg State) and Walt Powell (Murray State) in the third and sixth round respectively in the 2014 NFL Draft. Additionally, the team signed wide receiver Ted Ginn, Jr. in the offseason to a three-year deal.
For Ozier, standing out from the pack entails catching every pass thrown his way and minimizing mistakes.
"People make mistakes and I hope I make less mistakes than the next man," Ozier said.
One of the bigger adjustments for Ozier transitioning into the NFL is learning a more complex system.
"It's a lot of plays," Ozier said. "Tonight, I'm going to do a lot of studying. I still got a lot of work to do."
After rookie camp ends on May 25, Ozier is hoping for a contract. Organized team activities (OTAs) resume May 27.
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.