Former ASU WR Kevin Ozier hoping to latch on with Cardinals
The Arizona Cardinals have offered Ozier a tryout. He has three days at Cardinals' rookie camp to show the team's coaches his skillset and potential.
"It's just like at ASU," Ozier said. "I'm starting from the bottom. Not known, undrafted walk-on. Basically it's a tryout basis so I got to come out working harder than everyone and make the best of every opportunity I get to try to make a name for myself and stand out to the coaches."
During his collegiate career, Ozier caught 55 passes for 847 yards and seven touchdowns. At times, he lived out of his car before earning a scholarship under then-first-year coach Todd Graham.
To earn a spot on the Cardinals' roster, Ozier needs to stand out from fierce competition, even among rookies.
Although, Cardinals coach Bruce Arians admitted there is hope for undrafted rookies.
"We're going to play the best guy," Arians said. "I don't care how you got here, when you got here, if you're the best guy, you're going to play."
The Cardinals drafted wide receivers John Brown (Pittsburg State) and Walt Powell (Murray State) in the third and sixth round respectively in the 2014 NFL Draft. Additionally, the team signed wide receiver Ted Ginn, Jr. in the offseason to a three-year deal.
For Ozier, standing out from the pack entails catching every pass thrown his way and minimizing mistakes.
"People make mistakes and I hope I make less mistakes than the next man," Ozier said.
One of the bigger adjustments for Ozier transitioning into the NFL is learning a more complex system.
"It's a lot of plays," Ozier said. "Tonight, I'm going to do a lot of studying. I still got a lot of work to do."
After rookie camp ends on May 25, Ozier is hoping for a contract. Organized team activities (OTAs) resume May 27.
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- New Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga thrown right into the mix
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu practices for the first time this season
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.