Updated May 30, 2014 - 12:22 pm
ESPN's Clayton: Cardinals can still be a playoff team without Daryl Washington
With Karlos Dansby already having signed with the Browns, the Cardinals have lost both of their starting inside linebackers from 2013, two blows to a defense that ranked first against the run last season.
ESPN insider John Clayton joined the Doug and Wolf show on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM Friday and said that the Cardinals can still be a playoff team in 2014, despite the depleted linebacker corps.
"Every team's going to suffer setbacks, everybody's going to lose one player," Clayton said. "Daryl Washington, as good as he is, they won 10 games missing him for a good portion of last year."
Washington was suspended for the first four games of the 2013 season for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy. The Cardinals went 2-2 in his absence.
Playing in the NFC West is tough sledding for the Cardinals, but Clayton said the loss of Washington isn't a death sentence.
"They can still make the playoffs, but this is how tough it's going to be particularly with what's going on in the league," Clayton said. "You just watched the two middle linebackers, inside linebackers weighing 234, 236 pounds, Ryan Shazier and C.J. Mosley go in the middle of the first round. Two guys I'm sure were targeted by Arizona. Why did they go that light? Because you need speed players or good players in 3-4 defenses in the middle of the field that can chase people down. Daryl can do that. If he's not out there, that's really going to put a big burden on this defense."
Washington was originally drafted by the Cardinals in the second round in the 2010 draft. In 2012, he made the Pro Bowl and led the Cardinals with 108 solo tackles and nine sacks.
With Washington suspended, linebacker Larry Foote likely gets the first crack at stepping into the starting lineup alongside Kevin Minter. The two combined for 12 total tackles in 2013.
"Larry Foote cannot run as well as Daryl Washington," Clayton said. "Look at Dallas. They have no replacement for Sean Lee. It's hard right now to find anything that's a three-down linebacker to be able to replace guys like that."
- Burns: Replacing most irreplaceable player
- Cardinals forced to march on without Washington
- Wolf: Next Man Up
- Cards will place Washington on reserve-susp. list
- The Pulse: Washington 'deserved' suspension
- Marotta: Wouldn't want to be Keim right now
- Gambo: Cardinals need to cut Washington now
- Analyst: Washington 'ultimate in selfishness'
- Clayton: Cardinals can still be a playoff team
- Dockett tweets about Washington suspension
- Franz: Cardinals should cut ties with Washington
- Washington suspended for entire 2014 season
- Report: Free agent LB Sims pays visit to Cards
- Daryl Washington releases statement
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely on proposal to push PATs back: 'There's going to be a lot more injuries'
- Cardinals rookie receiver John Brown doing more than relying on physical talents in training camp
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Brown sits out, Starks adds depth, Abraham will be in camp 'soon'
- Arizona Cardinals sign rookie free agent LB Derrell Johnson
- Arizona Cardinals bring in veteran Max Starks for depth, not to replace Bobby Massie
- Tony Jefferson, Arizona Cardinals safety - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ safety Tony Jefferson discusses training camp improvements.
- Bob McManaman, azcentral sports writer - Friday August 1azcentral sports writer Bob McManaman joins the show at Cardinals training camp.
- John Brown, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 1Cardinals rookie wide receiver John Brown says he is different from other rookies.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 1Are the fortunes of the Arizona Cardinals changing?
- Doug & Wolf Impromptu Power Poll - Friday August 1Doug & Wolf's top 5 things to look for at Cardinals' Fan Fest.