Updated May 30, 2014 - 1:17 pm
Arizona Cardinals' Darnell Dockett tweets about Daryl Washington suspension
One of the team's starting linebackers, Washington is coming off a season in which he recorded 75 total tackles, three sacks and two interceptions, numbers he tallied in just 12 games.
The previous season, Washington recorded 134 total tackles, nine sacks and one interception. Since being selected in the second-round of the 2010 draft out of TCU, he has quickly emerged as one of the best linebackers in the NFL and a key member of the team's defense.
But substance abuse problems led to a four-game suspension last season, and now they've cost him the 2014 campaign.
Friday, Washington's teammate Darnell Dockett tweeted some thoughts on the matter:
Old news to us, new news to y'all. My team and I continue to stay focus. Working every day and building chemistry and a winning attitude.— DARNELL DOCKETT (@ddockett) May 30, 2014
The destination doesn't change, just taking a different route with different guys. A chance for someone else to rise up.. #whosNEXT— DARNELL DOCKETT (@ddockett) May 30, 2014
Special thanks to all my teammates that's had been grinding from day one putting the team first , showing up everyday & it's not mandatory!— DARNELL DOCKETT (@ddockett) May 30, 2014
I won't let us worry about what's if's. I will keep us focus on right now and what's a reality.. It makes a better story in the end. Watch!— DARNELL DOCKETT (@ddockett) May 30, 2014
The suspension, along with Karlos Dansby's departure in free agency to Cleveland, leaves the Cardinals pretty thin at the inside linebacker position. Second-year pro Kevin Minter is expected to start, as will possibly free agent pickup Larry Foote.
The Cardinals are also reportedly bringing veteran free agent Ernie Sims in for a visit.
- Burns: Replacing most irreplaceable player
- Cardinals forced to march on without Washington
- Wolf: Next Man Up
- Cards will place Washington on reserve-susp. list
- The Pulse: Washington 'deserved' suspension
- Marotta: Wouldn't want to be Keim right now
- Gambo: Cardinals need to cut Washington now
- Analyst: Washington 'ultimate in selfishness'
- Clayton: Cardinals can still be a playoff team
- Dockett tweets about Washington suspension
- Franz: Cardinals should cut ties with Washington
- Washington suspended for entire 2014 season
- Report: Free agent LB Sims pays visit to Cards
- Daryl Washington releases statement
- Arizona Cardinals begin camp with confidence and optimism
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu takes another step closer to returning to the field
- Cardinals ILB Kevin Minter on trying to replace Karlos Dansby: 'It's going to be like college again'
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals need to run the football to win in the NFC West
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.