Updated May 30, 2014 - 1:17 pm
Arizona Cardinals' Darnell Dockett tweets about Daryl Washington suspension
One of the team's starting linebackers, Washington is coming off a season in which he recorded 75 total tackles, three sacks and two interceptions, numbers he tallied in just 12 games.
The previous season, Washington recorded 134 total tackles, nine sacks and one interception. Since being selected in the second-round of the 2010 draft out of TCU, he has quickly emerged as one of the best linebackers in the NFL and a key member of the team's defense.
But substance abuse problems led to a four-game suspension last season, and now they've cost him the 2014 campaign.
Friday, Washington's teammate Darnell Dockett tweeted some thoughts on the matter:
Old news to us, new news to y'all. My team and I continue to stay focus. Working every day and building chemistry and a winning attitude.— DARNELL DOCKETT (@ddockett) May 30, 2014
The destination doesn't change, just taking a different route with different guys. A chance for someone else to rise up.. #whosNEXT— DARNELL DOCKETT (@ddockett) May 30, 2014
Special thanks to all my teammates that's had been grinding from day one putting the team first , showing up everyday & it's not mandatory!— DARNELL DOCKETT (@ddockett) May 30, 2014
I won't let us worry about what's if's. I will keep us focus on right now and what's a reality.. It makes a better story in the end. Watch!— DARNELL DOCKETT (@ddockett) May 30, 2014
The suspension, along with Karlos Dansby's departure in free agency to Cleveland, leaves the Cardinals pretty thin at the inside linebacker position. Second-year pro Kevin Minter is expected to start, as will possibly free agent pickup Larry Foote.
The Cardinals are also reportedly bringing veteran free agent Ernie Sims in for a visit.
- Burns: Replacing most irreplaceable player
- Cardinals forced to march on without Washington
- Wolf: Next Man Up
- Cards will place Washington on reserve-susp. list
- The Pulse: Washington 'deserved' suspension
- Marotta: Wouldn't want to be Keim right now
- Gambo: Cardinals need to cut Washington now
- Analyst: Washington 'ultimate in selfishness'
- Clayton: Cardinals can still be a playoff team
- Dockett tweets about Washington suspension
- Franz: Cardinals should cut ties with Washington
- Washington suspended for entire 2014 season
- Report: Free agent LB Sims pays visit to Cards
- Daryl Washington releases statement
- Cardinals' Dockett: Peterson will 'definitely be a future Hall of Famer'
- Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner thankful for patience of fans, organization
- Notes from the Nest: July 30, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals to host Fan Fest this weekend
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.