ESPN's Mike Sando: Offense will be the key for the 2014 Arizona Cardinals
They are big shoes to fill, no doubt. But one NFL insider thinks even though Washington's absence will be an issue, the pressure is on another Cardinals unit this upcoming season.
"I think the offense in Arizona is the most important thing," ESPN's Mike Sando told Doug and Wolf Monday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "It was much better in the second half of last year, I think quietly so. I think Carson Palmer was much better.
"I think that is going to be even more important now -- that Bruce Arians' stamp on that side of the ball pays off and takes pressure off the defense so they don't have to carry it every week like it felt like they did at times early in the year."
Sando's assessment is statistically proven. In the first half of 2014, the Cardinals averaged 20 points and 314.5 yards per contest. Those numbers jumped up to 27.4 points and 378.3 yards per game after their Week 9 bye. Turnovers were also down substantially from 2.3 per game in the season's first half to 1.6 per contest in Weeks 10-17.
Sando believes that improvement was not an anomaly.
"I kind of trust Bruce Arians to have the offense going," he said. "They're going to miss Daryl Washington. The defense may not be quite as good, certainly at that position, but that's not the whole team, either and that's not the whole part of their plan.
"The offense, to me, has to take the next step, and it started to last year."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.