ESPN's Mike Sando: Offense will be the key for the 2014 Arizona Cardinals
They are big shoes to fill, no doubt. But one NFL insider thinks even though Washington's absence will be an issue, the pressure is on another Cardinals unit this upcoming season.
"I think the offense in Arizona is the most important thing," ESPN's Mike Sando told Doug and Wolf Monday on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM. "It was much better in the second half of last year, I think quietly so. I think Carson Palmer was much better.
"I think that is going to be even more important now -- that Bruce Arians' stamp on that side of the ball pays off and takes pressure off the defense so they don't have to carry it every week like it felt like they did at times early in the year."
Sando's assessment is statistically proven. In the first half of 2014, the Cardinals averaged 20 points and 314.5 yards per contest. Those numbers jumped up to 27.4 points and 378.3 yards per game after their Week 9 bye. Turnovers were also down substantially from 2.3 per game in the season's first half to 1.6 per contest in Weeks 10-17.
Sando believes that improvement was not an anomaly.
"I kind of trust Bruce Arians to have the offense going," he said. "They're going to miss Daryl Washington. The defense may not be quite as good, certainly at that position, but that's not the whole team, either and that's not the whole part of their plan.
"The offense, to me, has to take the next step, and it started to last year."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim: 'I'm never done' building the roster
- Walt Powell claimed by New York Jets
- How the West Was Won - Week 1
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals' offense will offset losses on defense, lead team to a winning record
- Cardinals awarded waiver claim on OLB Thomas Keiser, waive rookie WR Walt Powell
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?