Updated Jun 2, 2014 - 9:52 am
Report: Arizona Cardinals will place Daryl Washington on reserve-suspended list
The reaction to the news has been vast. Many, including Arizona Sports' own Doug Franz and John Gambadoro, believe that the linebacker's most recent transgression should be enough for the organization to sever ties with him immediately. Vince Marotta believes that general manager Steve Keim is facing a very difficult decision because of financial, competitive and human elements to the story.
It doesn't appear that the Cardinals will do anything immediately, according to ESPN NFL insider Ed Werder, mostly for financial reasons.
A source within the organization told ESPN that none of that money has actually been paid to Washington and conceded that one of the reasons the team won't consider releasing him is because it might no longer be entitled to keep a portion of that money.
Werder reports the Cardinals will place Washington on the reserve-suspended list and that the former Pro Bowler will forfeit up to $6.5 million in salary and bonuses between now and December.
Sources say there are two reasons the Cardinals won't cut Washington yet: His cap acceleration would be approximately $7.5 million, and they would not be entitled to recover some of the aforementioned $10 million option bonus -- none of which has been paid at this point. So rather than attempt to force Washington to repay the money, the Cardinals are prepared to argue they shouldn't have to pay him in the first place.
- Burns: Replacing most irreplaceable player
- Cardinals forced to march on without Washington
- Wolf: Next Man Up
- Cards will place Washington on reserve-susp. list
- The Pulse: Washington 'deserved' suspension
- Marotta: Wouldn't want to be Keim right now
- Gambo: Cardinals need to cut Washington now
- Analyst: Washington 'ultimate in selfishness'
- Clayton: Cardinals can still be a playoff team
- Dockett tweets about Washington suspension
- Franz: Cardinals should cut ties with Washington
- Washington suspended for entire 2014 season
- Report: Free agent LB Sims pays visit to Cards
- Daryl Washington releases statement
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.