Updated Jun 2, 2014 - 9:52 am
Report: Arizona Cardinals will place Daryl Washington on reserve-suspended list
The reaction to the news has been vast. Many, including Arizona Sports' own Doug Franz and John Gambadoro, believe that the linebacker's most recent transgression should be enough for the organization to sever ties with him immediately. Vince Marotta believes that general manager Steve Keim is facing a very difficult decision because of financial, competitive and human elements to the story.
It doesn't appear that the Cardinals will do anything immediately, according to ESPN NFL insider Ed Werder, mostly for financial reasons.
A source within the organization told ESPN that none of that money has actually been paid to Washington and conceded that one of the reasons the team won't consider releasing him is because it might no longer be entitled to keep a portion of that money.
Werder reports the Cardinals will place Washington on the reserve-suspended list and that the former Pro Bowler will forfeit up to $6.5 million in salary and bonuses between now and December.
Sources say there are two reasons the Cardinals won't cut Washington yet: His cap acceleration would be approximately $7.5 million, and they would not be entitled to recover some of the aforementioned $10 million option bonus -- none of which has been paid at this point. So rather than attempt to force Washington to repay the money, the Cardinals are prepared to argue they shouldn't have to pay him in the first place.
- Burns: Replacing most irreplaceable player
- Cardinals forced to march on without Washington
- Wolf: Next Man Up
- Cards will place Washington on reserve-susp. list
- The Pulse: Washington 'deserved' suspension
- Marotta: Wouldn't want to be Keim right now
- Gambo: Cardinals need to cut Washington now
- Analyst: Washington 'ultimate in selfishness'
- Clayton: Cardinals can still be a playoff team
- Dockett tweets about Washington suspension
- Franz: Cardinals should cut ties with Washington
- Washington suspended for entire 2014 season
- Report: Free agent LB Sims pays visit to Cards
- Daryl Washington releases statement
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- New Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga thrown right into the mix
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu practices for the first time this season
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.