Updated Jun 2, 2014 - 9:52 am
Report: Arizona Cardinals will place Daryl Washington on reserve-suspended list
The reaction to the news has been vast. Many, including Arizona Sports' own Doug Franz and John Gambadoro, believe that the linebacker's most recent transgression should be enough for the organization to sever ties with him immediately. Vince Marotta believes that general manager Steve Keim is facing a very difficult decision because of financial, competitive and human elements to the story.
It doesn't appear that the Cardinals will do anything immediately, according to ESPN NFL insider Ed Werder, mostly for financial reasons.
A source within the organization told ESPN that none of that money has actually been paid to Washington and conceded that one of the reasons the team won't consider releasing him is because it might no longer be entitled to keep a portion of that money.
Werder reports the Cardinals will place Washington on the reserve-suspended list and that the former Pro Bowler will forfeit up to $6.5 million in salary and bonuses between now and December.
Sources say there are two reasons the Cardinals won't cut Washington yet: His cap acceleration would be approximately $7.5 million, and they would not be entitled to recover some of the aforementioned $10 million option bonus -- none of which has been paid at this point. So rather than attempt to force Washington to repay the money, the Cardinals are prepared to argue they shouldn't have to pay him in the first place.
- Burns: Replacing most irreplaceable player
- Cardinals forced to march on without Washington
- Wolf: Next Man Up
- Cards will place Washington on reserve-susp. list
- The Pulse: Washington 'deserved' suspension
- Marotta: Wouldn't want to be Keim right now
- Gambo: Cardinals need to cut Washington now
- Analyst: Washington 'ultimate in selfishness'
- Clayton: Cardinals can still be a playoff team
- Dockett tweets about Washington suspension
- Franz: Cardinals should cut ties with Washington
- Washington suspended for entire 2014 season
- Report: Free agent LB Sims pays visit to Cards
- Daryl Washington releases statement
- Arizona Cardinals LB John Abraham releases statement on June DUI arrest
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely on proposal to push PATs back: 'There's going to be a lot more injuries'
- Cardinals rookie receiver John Brown doing more than relying on physical talents in training camp
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Brown sits out, Starks adds depth, Abraham will be in camp 'soon'
- Arizona Cardinals sign rookie free agent LB Derrell Johnson
- Tony Jefferson, Arizona Cardinals safety - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ safety Tony Jefferson discusses training camp improvements.
- Bob McManaman, azcentral sports writer - Friday August 1azcentral sports writer Bob McManaman joins the show at Cardinals training camp.
- John Brown, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 1Cardinals rookie wide receiver John Brown says he is different from other rookies.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 1Are the fortunes of the Arizona Cardinals changing?
- Doug & Wolf Impromptu Power Poll - Friday August 1Doug & Wolf's top 5 things to look for at Cardinals' Fan Fest.