Updated Jun 3, 2014 - 2:47 pm
Arizona Cardinals sign linebacker Ernie Sims
Last season in Dallas, Sims played in 12 games -- with six starts -- collecting 42 tackles (31 solo) and one forced fumble.
When asked Monday, Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said the team would like to add more depth at the middle linebacker position, but they weren't necessarily bringing anyone in with the intent for them to start.
"He'd have to earn it," the coach said. "If there's one available that can do that I'd like to have him."
Sims entered the NFL with the Detroit Lions, who took him the ninth overall in the 2006 NFL Draft out of Florida State. The 29-year-old had his best seasons with the Lions from 2006-09, where he started 56 of 59 games and recorded 282 total tackles.
The Tallahassee, Florida native also spent time with the Philadelphia Eagles in 2010 and Indianapolis Colts in 2011 before moving on to Dallas.
In his career, Sims has tallied 718 total tackles (454 solo) along with 5.5 sacks, five forced fumbles, three fumble recoveries, 14 passes defensed and one interception.
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.