Updated Jun 3, 2014 - 2:47 pm
Arizona Cardinals sign linebacker Ernie Sims
Last season in Dallas, Sims played in 12 games -- with six starts -- collecting 42 tackles (31 solo) and one forced fumble.
When asked Monday, Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said the team would like to add more depth at the middle linebacker position, but they weren't necessarily bringing anyone in with the intent for them to start.
"He'd have to earn it," the coach said. "If there's one available that can do that I'd like to have him."
Sims entered the NFL with the Detroit Lions, who took him the ninth overall in the 2006 NFL Draft out of Florida State. The 29-year-old had his best seasons with the Lions from 2006-09, where he started 56 of 59 games and recorded 282 total tackles.
The Tallahassee, Florida native also spent time with the Philadelphia Eagles in 2010 and Indianapolis Colts in 2011 before moving on to Dallas.
In his career, Sims has tallied 718 total tackles (454 solo) along with 5.5 sacks, five forced fumbles, three fumble recoveries, 14 passes defensed and one interception.
- Notes from the Nest: July 27, 2014
- Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson reasserts self as NFL's best
- Earl Watford, Paul Fanaika battling for Arizona Cardinals' right guard job
- Patrick Peterson 'relieved' of offensive, special teams duties with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals TE Troy Niklas forced to play catch-up
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.