Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tabbed as 2014 'breakout player' by CBS Sports
The Arizona Cardinals nabbed running back Andre Ellington out of Clemson with a sixth-round pick in 2013. Ellington had two consecutive 1,000-yard seasons for the Tigers, and when his career was done, he left campus as the fourth-leading rusher (3,404 yards) in the program's storied history.
Ellington didn't disappoint as a rookie, either, running for 652 yards on just 118 carries. His 5.5 yards per carry was the best in the National Football League.
And he's just getting started. Ellington is poised for a big 2014 season, according to CBS Sports' Pete Prisco, who compiled his list of 25 breakout players for the upcoming season.
Look up my favorite term "air back" and his picture would be next to it. He is fast, has elusiveness and can contribute in a big way in the passing game. He will be the Arizona feature back, which is a good thing.
Considering that Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians wants to get Ellington "25 to 30 touches per game" in 2014, the second-year back should get more than ample opportunity to prove Prisco correct.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.
- Steve Keim, Arizona Cardinals GM - Monday July 28Cardinals GM Steve Keim talks about player evaluation during training camp.
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.