Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tabbed as 2014 'breakout player' by CBS Sports
The Arizona Cardinals nabbed running back Andre Ellington out of Clemson with a sixth-round pick in 2013. Ellington had two consecutive 1,000-yard seasons for the Tigers, and when his career was done, he left campus as the fourth-leading rusher (3,404 yards) in the program's storied history.
Ellington didn't disappoint as a rookie, either, running for 652 yards on just 118 carries. His 5.5 yards per carry was the best in the National Football League.
And he's just getting started. Ellington is poised for a big 2014 season, according to CBS Sports' Pete Prisco, who compiled his list of 25 breakout players for the upcoming season.
Look up my favorite term "air back" and his picture would be next to it. He is fast, has elusiveness and can contribute in a big way in the passing game. He will be the Arizona feature back, which is a good thing.
Considering that Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians wants to get Ellington "25 to 30 touches per game" in 2014, the second-year back should get more than ample opportunity to prove Prisco correct.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals' Dockett: Peterson will 'definitely be a future Hall of Famer'
- Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner thankful for patience of fans, organization
- Notes from the Nest: July 30, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals to host Fan Fest this weekend
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.