When you have OTAs, these "voluntary" workouts, they are often accompanied by a spirit of working together, a spirit of community. As soon as you say it's mandatory, like minicamp, it suddenly feels like you're competing for jobs and the spirit of team and community could just fly out the window.
Although players have in essence been competing for weeks and coaches have asserted themselves for weeks, things change when you practice in minicamp.
Coaches coach harder. The intensity level picks up because now you're on their time, now you belong to them, and if you're not ready to get better today get off the field. The tone, tempo and tenure changes and the coaching staff is responsible for setting that table.
And players can tell the difference. Minicamp, to some degree, signals the start of hostilities. That truth starts to impact relationships between veterans and new guys trying to take their job. Players start sizing each other up, wondering how it's going to go in training camp, and veterans on the bubble stop helping newbies.
Starting next week, community is over and competition begins. Time to strap on the boots and scrape up the knuckles.
Ron Wolfley, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Arizona Cardinals begin camp with confidence and optimism
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu takes another step closer to returning to the field
- Cardinals ILB Kevin Minter on trying to replace Karlos Dansby: 'It's going to be like college again'
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals need to run the football to win in the NFC West
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.