When you have OTAs, these "voluntary" workouts, they are often accompanied by a spirit of working together, a spirit of community. As soon as you say it's mandatory, like minicamp, it suddenly feels like you're competing for jobs and the spirit of team and community could just fly out the window.
Although players have in essence been competing for weeks and coaches have asserted themselves for weeks, things change when you practice in minicamp.
Coaches coach harder. The intensity level picks up because now you're on their time, now you belong to them, and if you're not ready to get better today get off the field. The tone, tempo and tenure changes and the coaching staff is responsible for setting that table.
And players can tell the difference. Minicamp, to some degree, signals the start of hostilities. That truth starts to impact relationships between veterans and new guys trying to take their job. Players start sizing each other up, wondering how it's going to go in training camp, and veterans on the bubble stop helping newbies.
Starting next week, community is over and competition begins. Time to strap on the boots and scrape up the knuckles.
Ron Wolfley, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.