When you have OTAs, these "voluntary" workouts, they are often accompanied by a spirit of working together, a spirit of community. As soon as you say it's mandatory, like minicamp, it suddenly feels like you're competing for jobs and the spirit of team and community could just fly out the window.
Although players have in essence been competing for weeks and coaches have asserted themselves for weeks, things change when you practice in minicamp.
Coaches coach harder. The intensity level picks up because now you're on their time, now you belong to them, and if you're not ready to get better today get off the field. The tone, tempo and tenure changes and the coaching staff is responsible for setting that table.
And players can tell the difference. Minicamp, to some degree, signals the start of hostilities. That truth starts to impact relationships between veterans and new guys trying to take their job. Players start sizing each other up, wondering how it's going to go in training camp, and veterans on the bubble stop helping newbies.
Starting next week, community is over and competition begins. Time to strap on the boots and scrape up the knuckles.
Ron Wolfley, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.