When you have OTAs, these "voluntary" workouts, they are often accompanied by a spirit of working together, a spirit of community. As soon as you say it's mandatory, like minicamp, it suddenly feels like you're competing for jobs and the spirit of team and community could just fly out the window.
Although players have in essence been competing for weeks and coaches have asserted themselves for weeks, things change when you practice in minicamp.
Coaches coach harder. The intensity level picks up because now you're on their time, now you belong to them, and if you're not ready to get better today get off the field. The tone, tempo and tenure changes and the coaching staff is responsible for setting that table.
And players can tell the difference. Minicamp, to some degree, signals the start of hostilities. That truth starts to impact relationships between veterans and new guys trying to take their job. Players start sizing each other up, wondering how it's going to go in training camp, and veterans on the bubble stop helping newbies.
Starting next week, community is over and competition begins. Time to strap on the boots and scrape up the knuckles.
Ron Wolfley, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.