Updated Jun 10, 2014 - 2:42 pm
Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu taking recovery 'as it comes'
The Arizona Cardinals safety who tore the ACL and LCL in his left knee while returning a kick during a Week 14 win over the St. Louis Rams on Dec. 8 is working his way back -- slowly.
"It's a long process and it's going to continue to be a long process," he said after the Cardinals had their first minicamp practice Tuesday. "I just try to come to work every day, stay on top of my rehab and just continue to push myself.
"I don't try to get too down about it, I don't try to get too up, too excited [when] my knee's feeling good. I just take it as it comes."
Mathieu's recovery is one of the most interesting and pressing storylines of the offseason. A key member of the team's defense last season, the former third-round pick out of LSU finished fourth on the team with 68 total tackles while also intercepting two passes, earning a quarterback sack and forcing a fumble.
He did all that in roughly 13 games.
Assuming he can get back to full strength before the regular season begins, the secondary figures to be a strength for the team.
But there's still a long way to go before the Week 1 opener against the San Diego Chargers, just as there is a long way to go before Mathieu will be back on the field looking to make plays.
For now it's all about just getting better and reaching the next plateau.
"Put that helmet on, do some drills with the guys," he said. "I think that will be the next step for me, the next big step for me."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals CB Patrick Peterson reasserts self as NFL's best
- Earl Watford, Paul Fanaika battling for Arizona Cardinals' right guard job
- Patrick Peterson 'relieved' of offensive, special teams duties with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals TE Troy Niklas forced to play catch-up
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: All-Access with Bruce Arians - July 27, 2014
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.