Updated Jun 12, 2014 - 9:22 pm
Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu contemplated suicide while in jail
And, according to Mathieu himself, it was one that at one point seemed like it could take a tragic detour.
Mathieu, when speaking to Fox Sports Arizona's Craig Morgan, said he contemplated taking his own life in 2012 while in jail. Mathieu was there because, following his dismissal from the LSU football team for failing multiple drug tests, police found marijuana during a search of his apartment.
"I'm sitting in that jail cell thinking, 'I don't know if I want to go back out there and face the music,' " he said. "I didn't know how I was going to commit suicide in the cell, but that was the direction my life was heading."
Mathieu told Morgan that it was his cellmates who encouraged him to forget those thoughts, saying he was a good football player and shouldn't be going down that road.
Because of the experience, Mathieu said he was able to get his life back together and focus on football. And with things seemingly heading in the right direction, Mathieu said he wants to start a foundation to help others who might be feeling the same way he once did.
It would be called "Second Chance," and the idea would be to give others the same opportunity to turn their lives around that he received.
"People go through a lot of things. They can be every-day personal things, not just suicide," he said. "I just want to reach out and use this platform for something positive and be an inspiration to people who want to see me as an inspiration."
It's nice to see Mathieu try and turn what could have been a terrible tragedy into something positive. He's not hiding from his past; no, instead he's embracing his history and hoping that others can learn from it.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals begin camp with confidence and optimism
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu takes another step closer to returning to the field
- Cardinals ILB Kevin Minter on trying to replace Karlos Dansby: 'It's going to be like college again'
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals need to run the football to win in the NFC West
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.