All-Pro receiver says Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson is tougher matchup than Richard Sherman
Last month, Peterson lit the fuse of the discussion when he said he doesn't consider Sherman to be a shutdown corner during a conversation with Bickley and Marotta on Arizona Sports 98.7 FM.
The bickering and stat comparisons spilled over to Twitter, but we haven't heard much since.
Atlanta Falcons Pro Bowl receiver Julio Jones has weighed in on the subject, and he's got Peterson's back.
In an interview with CBS Sports' Pete Prisco, Jones talked about how Sherman will only play one side of the field, while other top corners, such as Peterson, will shadow him all over the field since he's the Falcons' top wideout.
"Patrick Peterson, he stays with me," Jones said. "I've been playing Pat since college. Me and him have had our share of battles. We go back and forth, we've got respect for each other. He's not a trash talker or anything. We just compete."
Prisco is ranking the top 100 players in the NFL this offseason, and told Jones that he's got Peterson ranked higher than Sherman because the Cardinals' star will shadow the opposition's best receiver, unlike Sherman.
Prisco then asked Jones whom he believes is the tougher matchup of the two.
"Probably Patrick Peterson, because like I said, he follows me everywhere," Jones said. "Sherman usually plays the right side.
"The majority of the time, he's a right corner. Pat, he does everything, not only being a cornerback. He comes over and catches a few balls on offense, he returns kicks and punts."
T-minus 30 seconds until we hear a Sherman rebuttal.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Walt Powell claimed by New York Jets
- How the West Was Won - Week 1
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals' offense will offset losses on defense, lead team to a winning record
- Cardinals awarded waiver claim on OLB Thomas Keiser, waive rookie WR Walt Powell
- Bauman, Golden, Sopoaga, Hardy among Arizona Cardinals' final roster cuts
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.